Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Civil War over Brexit?

The Worthing Journal compared the dispute over Brexit with the English Civil War, Readers were asked to comment. I did, you can too.

I think both Remainers and Leavers have to admit that they *do not know* what the economic consequences of leaving or remaining will be. Britain could still leave the EU - a corrupt and unpopular institution - but remain in a customs union. Nobody voted to "leave Europe" that would be physically impossible.

I find the insults of Remainers objectionable. They imply (or indeed state) that anyone who voted differently is ignorant and stupid. That is not the way to gain votes for their cause

(My spelling checker wants me to replace "Remainers" with "remainders" but I won't). 



(The Levellers were the real democrats in Cromwell's army. I realise that as a Catholic the Roundheads might not have welcomed me with open arms but the fact is that "religious freedom for Catholics" was one of the original demands of the Levellers)

My page on Amazon

No comments: