Monday, February 24, 2020

Deputy Leadership Candidates

All of the deputy leadership candidates were invited to answer questions. I was struck by the response of Richard Burgon.


I think open selection is one way to stop the Blairite fifth column from sabotaging the party in the future. I think the focus on a specific number of policies in the past was interpreted by the voters as "these are the ones they will actually do" but that is not what Richard Burgon is proposing.

What is your vision for strengthening the relationship between affiliated trade unions and the Labour Party, and how will you strengthen union members’ involvement in Party activity?

"Our Party members and trade union affiliates ensure we’re rooted in the realities of our communities. As Deputy Leader I will fight to empower members and trade unions to have a much greater democratic say over our party including:

"Ensuring MPs reflect the concerns of local working people: I fully back open selection. I am the only Deputy Leader candidate – and was the first of all the candidates in these elections – to call for this. We need a fully democratic system for members and trade unions to select their Labour candidates at each and every election. If we are to reconnect with lost voters, then Labour members from those areas must be able to choose the parliamentary candidate they think can best connect with their community."

"A greater say for unions in determining our campaigning focus: I will be a campaigning Deputy Leader.  I want party members and the trade unions to have much more in control of the campaigns we launch. As Deputy Leader I will fight to keep the radical policies of our manifesto – but we need to explain our policies better on the doorstep. I am proposing that we focus campaigning around 10 key policies that are easily explainable on the doorstep.  I would ensure a democratic process so that it is members and trade unions who decide these 10 policies."
"A stronger voice for unions on the NEC: I think the Democracy Review made some positive steps forward but there is a long way to go and I would take forward a wider range of proposals for a more democratic party. For example, I would like to see more trade union and grassroots members on the NEC."


The answers of all the candidates are available here

 

No comments: