Sunday, February 07, 2021

The Penguin Book of the Contemporary British Short Story

 According to legend, Mark Twain once wrote to a friend, "I apologise for the length of this letter, I didn't have time to write a short one." In these short stories, everything which is unnecessary is eliminated. The result is better fiction.

I would suggest reading one story at a time rather than trying to read the book like a novel. Each story deserves to be considered in its own right. The range of styles and subjects is very broad.

You are bound to find some which you prefer to others. The one I liked most was Lucy Wood's "Flotsam, Jetsam, Lagan, Derelict." I am providing no spoilers but the way the story unfolds, the economy of the language and the contemporary concerns which this short story raises all make it an excellent example of a short story. 

 


No comments: