Tuesday, October 15, 2019

In Defence of Trotskyism

The title reminds me of "In Defence of Marxism" in which Trotsky had to defend the basic ideas of Marxism against the revisionists around Burnham and Shachtman in the American SWP. Burnham and Shachtman and their ideas have long been confined to the dustbin of history but Trotsky's work remains a book which can educate anybody of any age - unless they think they already know everything of course.

The four books which most influenced me were:

The Communist Manifesto (I read my father's copy of this when I was ten). I've read it again since. At ten it was the flow of the language which kept my attention but later on the ideas became more important.

The Iron Heel by Jack London. I have written a book about the role of the hero in this book. Trotsky reviewed it favourably when Jack London's daughter sent him a copy. I think the main message is that you are as likely to appeal to the "better nature" of the capitalist class as you are to persuade a pack of wolves not to eat you! Jack London was a great writer. I also recommend his short stories.

The Role of the Hero

In Defence of Marxism which clarified many issues for me. The degeneration of the Soviet state under Stalin was something my father never came to terms with. We went on getting Soviet Weekly in our house for years after his death in 1959. The main reason for his thinking was that the people who were bad-mouthing the USSR were the same people who cursed the poor and the unemployed in the 1930s. Trotsky explains why this is so and a lot more besides.

The Transitional Program which - in 1938 - gave a much-needed message of hope which is still relevant today. The idea of a "transitional program" which starts from the consciousness of the working class right now and moulds a movement for the overthrow of capitalism bridges the gap between consciousness today and the historical task for which the working class is best suited.

The Transitional Program for Kindle and paperback







No comments: