Wednesday, July 18, 2007

False accusation

There is a discussion on TES about a teacher falsely accused of molesting a pupil. Under current legislation this false and withdrawn accusation will nevertheless stay on his permanent record.

"I have recently been falsely accused of child molesting by a Year 10 pupil (girl, I am a male teacher). I have been through an ordeal that included being interviewed by the police under caution. Of course, it transpired quite quickly that it was an utter fabrication, but the pupil continues in the school as if nothing happened, she has not been disciplined. As this occurrence will appear in any enhanced criminal record check, I asked the Head teacher to get me a statement of denial from the girl or her family, which I doubt very much I will get (even though I've written it myself). I want also a letter of reference from the Head with special reference to this incident, to clear without reserves my innocence, so that I will have a fair chance of getting a job."

Another teacher commented as follows:

"So, if I read this correctly:

"Teacher annoys pupil. Pupil makes up false accusation (preferably sexual).

"Investigation insues.

"No matter what the outcome, the record goes into the CRB report if the teacher wants another job. This being bound to prejudice them?

"What the hell is going on? Should make us all VERY, VERY nervous and must surely affect working conditions. We should insist on CCTV everywhere and to NEVER be placed in a 1:1 situation with any pupil.

"This is guilty unless proven innocent, surely?"

This issue had the highest priority at annual conference. I know that NUT regional office are very supportive towards teachers who are falsely accused and anyone can ring the helpline and TSN for further support.

I am a bit dubious about the CCTV suggestion as this is open to even more abuse.

No comments: